[OpenAFS] openafs and legato networker

Wolfgang Friebel Wolfgang.Friebel@desy.de
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:53:06 +0100 (CET)

--579699458-1271739746-1162217648=:24713

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Juha J=E4ykk=E4 wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone have any experience using legato networker to back up afs
> volumes? We would like to switch from "vos dump all volumes to an extra
> raid array" -backups to using legato (since that's the de facto backup
> solution around here). What's the best way to do it?
>
> I found this
> http://68.100.67.187:3000/openafs/afs-backup-to-legato.tar.gz, but I'm
> unsure as to how reliable/useful it is. Certainly it seems like less wo=
rk
> than what would be required to build a backup-to-legato -system from
> scratch. Anyone using this?
>
> Originally, I was thinking of just using our current dumps as sources f=
or
> legato, but that make incremental backups quite painful since our curre=
nt
> scheme just dumps whole volumes, no incrementals.

We have built a solution around Legato Networker that is using both full=20
and incremental dumps using 'vos dump'. The resulting files are put in a=20
disk pool, from there the files are backed up just as any other files.
The script that does the backup calculates what kind of backup (full,=20
level1, incremental) should be done based on the volume name and date of=20
the last backup operation.

The recovery script looks first in the same disk pool whether the require=
d=20
files to restore a volume are still there. If not, the missing files are=20
retrieved from tape. We implemented also to recover individual files in a=
=20
volume (current restriction: one file only, no dirs).

As the recovery does require root privileges and oth the other hand a use=
r=20
should be able to retrieve "his" volumes or files the recovery works in a=
=20
client server environment.

The software is mostly written in perl. A talk (in german) can be found a=
http://www.rz.uni-hohenheim.de/afsws06/vortraege/tagung/Friebel_AFSbackup=
.pdf

I have just uploaded the cleaned up backup script to
ftp://ftp.ifh.de/pub/unix/sysadmin/afsbackup/afs_voldump

The recover script is still missing, I have to do cleanups there as well
before I will put it in the same directory

--=20
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
--579699458-1271739746-1162217648=:24713--