[OpenAFS] File ownership/permissions semantics

Bill Stivers stiversb@ucsc.edu
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:41:31 -0800

On Oct 31, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:

> Since this is run by a script anyway, could you setuid the script
> and have it kinit and obtain a keytab as some other user with the
> proper access and have this one trusted account create a file for
> each user and copies files over as needed?  (Or at a minimum,
> create proper directory ACLs and allow the student to copy their
> files directly.)
>
> (I realize you would need one "trusted user" for each class and
> that might get out of hand.)

This could get out of hand, but not so much for our present class
load, fortunately.

> Alternately, could you have some automated process create the
> directories and ACL them appropriately ahead of time?  E.g. create
> a pre-handin script that prepares the handin environment.  It would
> only need to be run by TAs / instructors to prepare a hadin area
> for each particular assignment.  This assumes that you have a
> complete class roster at the time the assignment is issued.  This
> may or may not be true in your environment.

This isn't so good, because until week 4 or 5, the rosters are
extremely chaotic.  I'd say that the most drops are in that 24 hours
before deadline closes, but drops aren't as critical to process in a
timely fashion as adds.

> -----
>
> Or, instead of a push hand-in system, you could have a pull hand-in
> system.  Have a script copy the data directly out of each students
> ~id/classnum/assignnum directory at the time it is due.  The
> student would be responsible for ACLing it appropriately (allow
> handin script, but not other students,) or the script could run on
> some trusted machine with full privs to grab the files.

I'm particularly liking this as a potential option.  It's a
fundamental rearchitecting of a decade-old process, but sometimes
life is better for things to be shaken up some.  I may have to
implement this.

Thanks for the suggestions, sir!

--B

> <<CDC