[OpenAFS] Possible bug in OpenAFS 1.4.1-2

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:23:39 -0700

Jakub Witkowski <jpw@wszib.edu.pl> writes:

> I would like to report a rather nasty change in behaviour between 1.4.0
> and 1.4.1-2 versions of OpenAFS, as packaged by Ubuntu. The problem
> manifests itself as repeated attempt to connect to an unreachable cell
> EVEN IF all operations within /afs are done within another cell's
> directory structure.

Are you using a file manager?  Normally one sees this behavior with a file
manager that tries to ascend the directory tree and stat directories, and
when it does this in /afs, it gets unhappy.

If you're seeing this using cp and ls and the like from the command line,
I've never seen anything like this before.

> I have a laptop that runs afs client with two cells configured: first,
> set as home cell, is rikanise.net, my private cell; it uses DNS
> information only. Second cell, used at my workplace, is statically
> configured in CellServDB file, since we didn't (yet) get around to put
> the info into DNS.

Are you using -dynroot -fakestat?  That often helps considerably and is
the recommended configuration at this point.  If your configuration
changed during the upgrade, that could explain why you saw this change.

> Some basic info: Ubuntu Dapper, i386, OpenAFS ver. 1.4.1-2 from stock
> package; I will check version directly downloaded from official site
> soon.

It's very unlikely that any of the changes in the Debian package would
have affected this.  I did just upload 1.4.2-fc2 packages, but I haven't
heard of changes in this area in particular.