[OpenAFS] Adding Additional Fileserver to Cell

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:48:10 -0700

Mike Bydalek <mbydalek@contentconnections.com> writes:

> That was it.  There were no users.  After I did a bos adduser mars
> admin, everything works as expected.

> This now brings up the question, if I have a bunch of users, do I need
> to re-create them on each fileserver, or is the admin user just a
> special case?

The "standard" AFS way to handle these files is to run upserver on your
designated master and upclient on all of your other hosts.  It will then
distribute the KeyFile, server CellServDB, UserList, and similar files
from the master to the other servers for you, and then you can make
changes only on the master.

Note that older versions of AFS had a bug that could cause the file server
to sometimes (but not always) start rejecting all tokens if the CellServDB
file changed (even only in timestamp) due to some sort of internal memory
corruption.  Stopping and restarting the server completely clears this up
when it happens.  We thought we'd fixed that in 1.4.1, but I've still seen
one isolated instance of it happening on a 1.4.1 server that I've been
unable to triage further.