[OpenAFS] PAGS and kernels

Mike Polek mike@pictage.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:36:55 -0700

Hi, all,
   I downloaded kernel 2.6.17.7 from kernel.org and built it as
usual for my environment. I needed the newer kernel because
I have some machines with recent NIC and SCSI interfaces
that don't get picked up under the old 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4 kernel
I've been using for my FC4 machines. Using pagsh, PAGS *appear*
to work normally. However, my FTP server exhibits strange
behaviors. It looks like it's running outside a PAG, even though
the PAM library claims it's setting up the PAG properly when
I turn debugging on.
   When I used the old kernel on an machine without the new
hardware, but everything else on the O/S exactly the same
(It's a diskless booting config, so the O/S is on the network),
the FTP server seems to work properly. My conclusion is that
the kernel isn't supporting PAGs properly. (Not unusual these
days.)
   Is there a good way to figure out the extent of brokenness
for PAG support for a given kernel? I.e. is there some
set of tests I can perform to figure out where the problem
has likely cropped up? And has anyone else experienced similar
problems between 2.6.13 an 2.6.17, so maybe there is someplace
in between that has both the drivers I need and correct PAG
support? Or alternatively, is there a patch available for
the 2.6.17 kernels?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Polek
Pictage, Inc.