[OpenAFS] namei interface lockf buggy on Solaris (and probably HP-UX and AIX)

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:06:51 -0700

--On Monday, September 11, 2006 1:04 PM +0200 Rainer Toebbicke
<rtb@pclella.cern.ch> wrote:

> Right, only that for a correct flock() emulation you'd also have to hold
> the necessary locks to prevent another thread from seeking away between
> the two calls... ideally something that is independent of the namei
> locking. And the code would gain in readability had the ifdefs been
> packed into a macro or subroutine.
>
> In this precise context however, and without wiping cleaner than clean:
> why spend yet another system call on something that nobody cares about.

Or we could just use the nice, sane, _portable_, fcntl() instead and avoid
all of these problems...

--
Carson