[OpenAFS] Re: help, salvaged volume won't come back online, is it corrupt? [trimmed log]

John Koyle jkoyle@koyle.org
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:38:38 -0600

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Adam Megacz wrote:
>

>> John Koyle <jkoyle@koyle.org> writes:
>>> That's the problem I'm having and it appears to be due to the root
>>> vnode being missing or corrupt.  Apparantly the bos salvager cannot
>>> fix this problem.  From the research I've done, it doesn't appear to
>>> be possible (not easily anyway).
>>
>> Even if the root vnode is missing, I'd be quite happy with it
>> reattaching whatever vnodes are floating around to some "bit bucket"
>> directory the way ext2 puts stuff in lost+found.  Or even just dumping
>> every *file* to a flat directory full of files I can grep through to
>> find the handful that I need.
>
> dumptool will dump all the vnodes to a flat file. or salvager with
> -orphans attach will attach orphaned vnodes.

Unfortunately as I discovered last night, neither will work if the root
vnode is corrupt.  I was able to Salvage the data, but not in an easily
usable format.  I used Jeffery's afsdump_* utils to get the data out:

    ./afsdump_extract volume_name dest/ -v -i          <- dump the data
to dest/
    ./afsdump_scan -Pd -v volume > FileList.txt        <- Create a flat
file with vnode/filename mappings for finding things from the above dump.

John