[OpenAFS] context menu handler slow in OpenAFS 1.5.8 for Windows

Gurganus, Brant L gurganbl@rose-hulman.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:14:18 -0400

The delay characteristics are reproducible using the command you
mentioned. If it is newly run, there is a delay. If it has recently ran
(probably has results in a cache), then it finishes quickly.

There appears to be no difference in output of the command when there is
a delay and when there is not a delay:

C:\DOCUME~1\gurganbl>fs whereis "My Documents"
fs: Invalid argument; it is possible that My Documents is not in AFS.

C:\DOCUME~1\gurganbl>fs whereis "My Documents"
fs: Invalid argument; it is possible that My Documents is not in AFS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Altman [mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com]=20
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:04 PM
To: Gurganus, Brant L
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] context menu handler slow in OpenAFS 1.5.8 for
Windows

Downgrading via the MSI requires an uninstall and re-install.

The AFS menu is conditionally displayed if the file exists within
AFS.  That is determined by the following:

 (1) check to see if the AFS Service is running.
     if not, disable the menu

 (2) issue a pioctl call to ask the cache manager where the object
     is located.  If the AFS cache manager indicates the object is
     located in a cell then the menu is displayed.  Otherwise the
     menu is disabled.

If you are seeing a delay you should be able to replicate it with
"fs whereis <pathname>"

Jeffrey Altman

Gurganus, Brant L wrote:
> Has anybody noticed the OpenAFS 1.5.8 for Windows context menu handler
> dramatically slowing the appearance of the context menu when a file is
> right-clicked? If not, what information can I provide to help diagnose
> the issue. I can definitely tell that it is not isolated to this minor
> release of OpenAFS 1.5.8, but I am not sure about OpenAFS 1.4, I can
try
> it if it is relatively safe to downgrade the MSI installer.
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Potential contributing software are Windows Defender Beta 2 and
Windows