[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4.x on SuSE 10.1 and rlim error

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:22 -0400

On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:02:56 PM -0500 Ken Aaker
<kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com> wrote:

> The general setup for SuSE kernels is to have "/lib/modules/{kernel-name
> uname -r for the running kernel}/build" point back into a "built" kernel
> tree that contains .config's, symvers, and anything else needed for
> building modules for each of the shipped kernel versions. When the
> kernel-source rpm gets updated those kernel build trees get replaced.
>
> For example, on my 10.1 system the I installed with a
> 2.6.16.13-4-default kernel that was then updated to a 2.6.16.21-0.13
> kernel. within the new kernel source trees, there are bigsmp, debug,
> default, kdump, smp, um, xen, and xenpae kernels built off the full
> sources in /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13 directory. Typically you can
> build successfully, for the running kernel, by using /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/build. for the linux kernel sources.

This is pretty much the standard arrangement for systems based on Linux
2.6, regardless of the particular distribution in use.  In fact, it is
often the case that /usr/src/linux, if it exists at all, is an unconfigured
source tree not suitable for building kernel modules.  This is why OpenAFS
defaults to using /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build on 2.6 systems.  If that
directory did not exist on your system, then it is likely that you haven't
installed enough packages.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer