[OpenAFS] disaster recovery

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila@tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:16:48 +0300 (EEST)

 	Thnank you for your tips,

So far i was able to either restore from the backup or salvage most of the
data. However I would like to recover some of the most recent bits that are
currently lying in lost+found. Is there a way?

We do have ro copies of all volumes. Unfortunately vos release stopped
working about a month ago. Possibly due to the same reasons that resulted
to yesterday's disaster.

> If you have a copy of your /vicepa with correct modebits, ownership,
> and group settings for the files you may use this instead of your old
> /vicepa.
>
> It is possible tar/untar vicep-partitions and to use them after that again.
> If you do that on another fileserver you should stop the corrupted one, start
> the new one and do a "vos syncvldb <newserver>" in order to update the volume
> location database. This will overwrite the location of each volume found on
> the new server. If this doesn't work try "vos syncserv <newserver>" (I never
> understood which one of those does what, but one of them does the job).
>
> You need then probably a "fs checkvol" on the client that he gets the new
> location.
>
> You should also think about having RO-volumes of your RW-volumes on other
> servers in the future. Then you easily can do a "vos convertROtoRW ..." to
> get again working cell.

 	Cheers,

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece
PGP key : http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
 	  http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
MD5sum  : de2bd8f73d545f0e4caf3096894ad83f  pgp_public_key.asc