[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4.x on SuSE 10.1 and rlim error

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:04:39 -0400

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> ... but often, the problem is that the configure tests utterly failed
> because configure was unable to install your kernel headers, perhaps
> because you haven't actually installed them.

Having been just burned by variations on this exact problem,
I've now got:
	/afs/umich.edu/user/m/d/mdw/build/tmp/,m20a
a diff which will fix the 2.6 kernel configuration process to:
/1/ log more useful information in config.log when the
	kernel configuration process breaks -- the error message,
	make command, the compiler lines, the module makefile, and
	the c source for the test.
/2/ does a dry run of the kernel build process and errors out with
	a more helpful message if this fails.  If this breaks,
	there is no point in doing further kernel configuration tests,
	and better to tell the user what to do next.

This will be part of the rxk5 changes I'm working on, and I hope to
have even more improvements to work better with exotic kernel
configurations and uml.  But I believe this diff is probably useful
as is right now.

				-Marcus