[OpenAFS] disaster recovery

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila@tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:45:47 +0300 (EEST)

> http://archiv.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/2003/0130/data/vol/start.htm
>
> I found it very helpful. It's in German, but perhaps someone can translate it
> for you. With the information provided in the document, the tools mentioned
> in the text, and some cautious looks at the openafs header files, I was able
> to reconstruct some of the fragments in lost+found.

 	Thnx, I will try to find someone to help with this.

> For almost complete volumes structures (small and large vnode index files and
> large vnodes must be available) I can provide you with a script that restores
> the volume directory structure and files to another location in 'real'
> filespace. Filenames are translated to the 'real' filenames. For corrupted or
> missing files, you will get some informations and the names, so you can try
> to find them in the remaining fragments. The script also has a 'dry run'
> mode.

 	Please share it, thnx:)

> With the additional informations from your old ro volumes, you might be able
> to reconstruct complete volumes. But it's tricky and you will need some time.
>
> The script and some of my other tools are a 'first try' and the comments are
> german. I never had the time to rewrite the source. And I'm not a very
> experienced programmer....

 	It's ok, at this moment I am not missing anything critical.
However it should be a good drill for the future.

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece
PGP key : http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
 	  http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
MD5sum  : de2bd8f73d545f0e4caf3096894ad83f  pgp_public_key.asc