[OpenAFS] Windows client and Linux server issues.

Mitchell Baker Mitchell.D.Baker@rose-hulman.edu
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:48:47 -0400

I'm having an issue which I need some help with.  Just finished
migrating all of our file servers from Solaris 8 running openafs 1.2.13
server to RHEL 4 x86_64 running 1.4.1.  I have one test server running
1.4.2fc4.

Windows client used is using AFS version 1.3.8700 and same thing with
1.4.0203. Windows XP sp2.

We have setup "homework turn in" directories in some of the classes.
Students only have "li" access into those directories so they can turn
in homework, but can't see other students work after it is turned in
etc...

This worked fine from the windows client on the solaris servers.  But
now under the linux servers, there are huge delays and 50% of the time
access failure with a message "(dir name) is not accessible. The
specified network name is no longer available.". 1.4 client will give
there error: (dirname) is not accessible. You might not have permission
to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server
to find out of you have access permissions.  The specified network name
is not longer available. The event log under windows shows these
Warnings:

 The description for Event ID ( 1005 ) in Source ( AFS Client ) cannot
be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
is part of the event: Pkt straddled session startup, took 152125 ms, ncb
length 109.  (Several of these with varying time)

The description for Event ID ( 1009 ) in Source ( AFS Client ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
is part of the event: cm_Analyze: HardDeadTime exceeded..

If I add "r" to the ACL all works great.

If all the files are owned by the users trying to access the directory
there are no issues.  Fewer files in the directory make a difference as
well.  Fewer number of files, faster listing, fewer failures.

Again the Solaris servers running 1.2.13 have no issues as all.

I think I have covered most of my testing...

Any offers on how to correct this problem?

See-ya
Mitch

--
Mitchell Baker