[OpenAFS] Could not start transaction

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:31:13 -0400

ok this is what I am trying to do

/usr/sbin/vos dump -id 536872008 -f /data/afs-dump/test.tst -server
afs-1 -partition /vicepa -cell csc.depauw.edu -localauth

and I have root in the file /usr/afs/etc/UserList

That should work, when I execute that as root, right ?

But I am getting these errors:
Could not start transaction on the volume 536872008 to be dumped
   VOLSER: permission denied, not a super user
VOLSER: permission denied, not a super user
Error in vos dump command.
VOLSER: permission denied, not a super user

>> well I have root as a user in /usr/afs/etc/UserList but I still see that
>> problem when I try to execute that script.
>> (It works on another machine).
>>
>> Is userList in the right location ?
>
> and you have a kerberos (afs) user named root??
>
> That's the right location if you have a transarc paths install. If not,
> well, log into the server in question and use bos listuser and bos
> adduser with -localauth

 It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean
 it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't
 her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and
 theirs.
                                              -- Oxford Uni Press
 Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                   | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
         Technology Coordinator    |

 Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc@DePauw.edu
 DePauw University                 |
 275 Julian Science & Math Center  |