[OpenAFS] getting started?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:27:39 -0700

Zach <netrek@gmail.com> writes:

> I have an AFS account which I've been accessing via ssh, I figured it
> would be cool and convenient to access my remote AFS account locally
> on my machine so in Debian I installed the packages  openafs-client
> openafs-krb5

> However upon installation all it asked me was the cell name (I entered
> club.cc.cmu.edu) and if I wanted the contents of /afs dynamically
> generated (i entered yes). It did not ask me another else such as my
> username or password nor did it ask anything about the Kerberos. So
> could someone tell me what I should do next to get this working. I ran
> "dpkg -L openafs-client" and there are MANY binary files so I don't
> know exactly how I should configure AFS.

Make sure you've built a kernel module (see
/usr/share/doc/openafs-client/README.modules), and then run:

    /etc/init.d/openafs-client start

as root.  You should now be able to get to the publicly readable contents
of AFS though the /afs directory.

To authenticate to your cell, first install krb5-config and krb5-clients,
run kinit <principal> to obtain Kerberos tickets, and then run aklog to
obtain AFS tokens.