[OpenAFS] Re: RPM packaging suggestion

Axel Thimm openafs-info@openafs.org
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:17:58 +0200

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 06:56:32PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I've noticed that when the yum update runs, it replaces the
> openafs-kernel module, rather than just installing the new one.
> That's bad if I end up not keeping the new kernel. Other kernel module
> RPMS leave the old versions.
>=20
> I asked in the RPM list and the fix for that, at least on Fedora Core
> versions of linux, is to add this line
>=20
> Provides: kernel-modules =3D %{kernvers}
>=20
> In this way, yum/rpm knows to leave the module until the kernel itself
> is removed.

That's not yet enough, it was shown last year, that any scheme not
having the uname -r in the name of the package (the rpm name as in
contrast to the rpm version/release) can only support the very latest
kernel.

But ATrpms has kmdls (w/ the uname -r in name) and a yum plugin that
simply work. Check that out, if you like.
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--