[OpenAFS] windows explore refresh

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:41:00 -0700

Looks even worse to me.

Open one file on a read-write volume with text editors on two different
clients (one windows and one linux). Change the file on one client and
observe that the file changed notification is not reliability transmitted by
the server to the other client because the file is not updated on the second
client.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of David Bear
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:00 AM
To: Rodney M. Dyer
Cc: Stephen Joyce; David Bear; openafs
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] windows explore refresh

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 10:59:19AM -0400, Rodney M. Dyer wrote:
> At 08:57 AM 4/25/2007, Stephen Joyce wrote:
> >Hi David,
> >
> >Are you accessing the AFS folders via a UNC path (\\afs\...) or a mapped
> >drive (H:..., etc)?
> >
> >I saw this issue only when trying to use a UNC path, as advised by the
> >docs. When I went back to mapped drives, refreshes are always immediate.
> >reported this bug:
> >http://grand.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=50864 There's a bit
> >more technical info in RT from Jeff Altman on this problem.
>
> Ah that's it, Stephen is correct.  I remember now that I had the same
> problem a few of years back when I was experimenting with changing the
user
> profile and redirected folder paths to use UNC paths instead of drives.

then we know the issue has been around for a long time. Do we know
that it is really a bug with openafs code or is it with the smb server
code (or microsoft)..

It sure would be great if a couple of large users could put of the
money to make openafs into an installable file system...

--
David Bear
phone: 	602-496-0424