[OpenAFS] renaming principals

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:02:01 -0400

>On forced id changes, yes.  UIUC forced a large number of users with a
>hyphen in their netid to change to one that did not have the hyphen.
>(Usually dropping the hyphen if that id was available.)  They also forcd
>netid changes where there were conflicts between the 3 campuses (UIC,
>UIS, UIUC.)

C'mon now.  We were talking about a user who was getting their principal
changed because of marriage.  Clearly in a case like you describe the
a different set of rules apply.  In your case, yes, I would definately
implement a rename operation.

>Oh, I understand.  But being forced to go to a specific location on
>campus during specific times (which just happen to be the exact same
>hours that I am busy) for a password reset is REALLY annoying.  Even if
>it only happens once in many years.

Eh, we have this thing called a "telephone".  Seems to to work reasonably
well.  Okay, you just can't randomly call up and ask for a password
reset, there is a defined process that involves either calling you
back on the phone number registered to you or invoking an alternate
process, but you don't have to visit us in person unless you really
want to.  (Interestingly enough, I've worked for large companies who's
policy was that you could just call up and ask for a password reset
and they would just do it without any further proof of identity).

--Ken