[OpenAFS] Listing support and development vendors on www.openafs.org

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:41:34 -0800

For some time there have been various requests from sites running AFS for
more information about where they can get commercial support or how they
can fund development of a specific project they would like to see
completed.  We've been discussing off and on for some time adding pointers
to commercial support providers to www.openafs.org to help with that.  I'd
like to reach a conclusion on that discussion and move forward with
putting up a page.

I'm proposing that we adopt the following criteria for inclusion in this
page:

 * The organization (company, individual, non-profit, whatever) provides
   either general OpenAFS support -- installation services, bug analysis
   and fixes, administrative support, etc. -- or OpenAFS development for
   hire, or both.  In other words, at least for the first cut, this
   wouldn't list software providers whose products support AFS, only
   people directly supporting or offering to do development on OpenAFS
   itself.

 * The organization has a past track record of releasing their work, where
   applicable, as open source and contributing it back to the OpenAFS
   community.  If we need to put some sort of concrete measure on this,
   I'd say something like "that organization has submitted at least five
   patches and/or bug reports to the project in the past year."  I don't
   mean to set the bar particularly high.

 * The organization is open to new contracts and/or customers.

Inclusion in this list would not be endorsement of any kind, and that
would also be made clear on the list.  Anyone meeting that criteria would
be listed.

First, is everyone comfortable with this criteria and with the general
idea?  Do you have any additions or changes to suggest?

Second, the organizations that I'm personally aware of that meet this
criteria as it stands are (in alphabetical order):

    The Linux Box Corporation
    http://www.linuxbox.com/

    Secure Endpoints Inc.
    http://www.secure-endpoints.com/

    Sine Nomine Associates
    http://www.sinenomine.net/

Does everyone agree that those organizations meet this criteria?  And who
else am I missing?

When we've finalized the criteria and the page, I'll announce it on
openafs-announce.