[OpenAFS] OpenAFS benchmark improvements

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:22:30 -0500

On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Derrick Brashear wrote:

> The other was to salvage every single volume in the cell, attaching
> the orphans:
>
>    bos salvage <volume> -orphans attach
>
> Sonofagun if my salvages on reboot didn't stop peppering me with
> complaints. We deleted all the dead files it found, thus reclaiming
> some of the 'missing' disk space and gaving it back to the users.
>
> If you're just going to delete it, skip a step and use -orphans remove

We didn't auto-delete because the users would kill us. But of the
1,000 or so recovered files, fewer than five were actually kept by
the end user. And IMHO, those folks were just too damned lazy to
actually look and make a decision.

If we could come up with a switch that meant --remove-file-if-it-was-
unlinked-while-open we'd have used that. Well, if it had a shorter
name. :-)

Steve