[OpenAFS] does 'vos shadow -incremental' send an entire file if one byte changes?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:48:37 -0500

------=_Part_956_15685167.1197640117689

On Dec 14, 2007 7:45 AM, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>
wrote:

> Adam Megacz wrote:
> > Just curious.  I was investigating incremental dumps today, and found
> > out that if you change just one byte in a file, the entire file is
> > included in the incremental dump (not just the block that changed).
>
> An incremental dump includes all of the directories and just the files
> that changed.  Any change no matter how small results in the entire file
> being sent.
>
> A full dump includes all of the directories and all of the files.
>
> Adding support for an 'rdiff' dump format to provide much smaller
> incremental dumps is on the roadmap/wishlist.

Support for not sending the directories (and thus only files that changed)
at least is in CVS and will be released soon.