[OpenAFS] Working with 3 vlservers, I purposely disabled one to test queries take longer with afs01 removed

Jerry Normandin Jerry.Normandin@dafca.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:14:37 -0800

Yes that is what I am seeing.  I was wondering if there was a way to
tweek the timeout.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Altman [mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com]=20
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 11:07 AM
To: Jerry Normandin
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Working with 3 vlservers, I purposely disabled

Jerry Normandin wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> =20
>=20
>   I didn't see anything written on a FAQ so I've got a question for
> you.  Now that AFS is quick I've been I purposely disabled my primary
> vlserver.
>=20
> SOme queries to the VLDB are fast, but 20% of them take a long time.
Are
> there any values I can tweek to reduce the wait for the other
vlservers
> to answer?

The clients take the list of vlservers, sort them by their distance in
the IP address space and then randomize them a bit.  The end result is
that if you have three VLDB servers, one third of your clients should
have each one first in the list.

For the third in which the down server is first in the list, the clients
will have to timeout the server before it will fail over to the second
server in the list.

Is that what you are seeing?  or something else?