[OpenAFS] Puzzler: lack of access to AFS files

John Hascall john@iastate.edu
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:10:46 CST

> Its hideous.  I hope no one asks for it.

Of course.  But look at my alternatives:

1) Continue to use krb524 - No Go
   K4 is dead and dangerous.  Removing our last uses of it
   is how I got here in the first place.

2) Track down all the instances we have used this way
   (successfully under krb524) and change the hideous
   special-case code on all our afs file servers and
   restart them causing an outage on each -- do this
   again for each such new use.  No Thanks.

3) Track down all such instances AND all the places they
   are used.  Change all the applications and rename all
   the instances to be dotless.  And, presumably, when
   AFS gets its K5 act together, change them all back.
   Double No Thanks.

4) Spend less than an hour writing a 50 line function in
   kdc/do_tgs_request.c call it in process_tgs_req(),
   make, install, restart KDCs one by one.  Done.
   And when we have a fully-K5 AFS just pull it out.

John