[OpenAFS] path not found errors with the windows client

Webster, Bill webster2@rose-hulman.edu
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:22:30 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C84181.6CBC5990

We've been experiencing a strange, intermittent problem which seems to
only affect a few random laptop users.  What happens is that they can
browse out to the afs root and sometimes down to a certain level but
eventually they will hit a spot where they try to open a folder and
after a long pause, the afs client returns an error stating that the
path was not found.

=20

I've tried to look through logs and trace dumps to find some indication
of what might be causing the problem.  So far, all that has led me to is
performing a 'fs checkservers -fast' which reports that one or more of
our afs file servers is unavailable.  When this happens, I can ping the
server from the user's laptop and ping their laptop from the server.  It
also doesn't affect anyone else and I could find nothing in the server
logs indicating a problem so it doesn't necessarily seem like a server
problem.  It's certainly not a case of the server being down.

=20

However, what I found was that if I manually changed the IP of the
user's laptop to something  else and tried again, everything would work
and 'fs checkservers' would report that all servers were ok.  Setting
the laptop back to DHCP so it retrieved its original IP address caused
the problem to return.  Also, if I manually set another laptop to use
that IP, it would begin experiencing the same problem.

=20

So, it seems as if the server stops communicating with whatever is at
that IP address.  Then usually after a day or two, the problem just
disappears on its own.

=20

Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?  I have some of
the log files and a packet capture from the client when this problem was
happening if either of those would help diagnose this issue.

=20

Thanks in advance.

=20

Bill Webster

------_=_NextPart_001_01C84181.6CBC5990

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Alba Super";
	panose-1:0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
h1
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";}
h2
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-style:italic;}
h3
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 3 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";}
h4
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 4 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
h5
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 5 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	font-style:italic;}
h6
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 6 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoHeading7, li.MsoHeading7, div.MsoHeading7
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 7 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoHeading8, li.MsoHeading8, div.MsoHeading8
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 8 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	font-style:italic;}
p.MsoHeading9, li.MsoHeading9, div.MsoHeading9
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 9 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";}
p.MsoCaption, li.MsoCaption, div.MsoCaption
	{mso-style-priority:35;
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:9.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#943634;
	font-weight:bold;}
p.MsoTitle, li.MsoTitle, div.MsoTitle
	{mso-style-priority:10;
	mso-style-link:"Title Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	text-align:center;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
p.MsoSubtitle, li.MsoSubtitle, div.MsoSubtitle
	{mso-style-priority:11;
	mso-style-link:"Subtitle Char";
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	text-align:center;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
em
	{mso-style-priority:20;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
p.MsoNoSpacing, li.MsoNoSpacing, div.MsoNoSpacing
	{mso-style-priority:1;
	mso-style-link:"No Spacing Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst, li.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst, =
div.MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	mso-style-type:export-only;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle, li.MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle, =
div.MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	mso-style-type:export-only;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoListParagraphCxSpLast, li.MsoListParagraphCxSpLast, =
div.MsoListParagraphCxSpLast
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	mso-style-type:export-only;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
p.MsoQuote, li.MsoQuote, div.MsoQuote
	{mso-style-priority:29;
	mso-style-link:"Quote Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	font-style:italic;}
p.MsoIntenseQuote, li.MsoIntenseQuote, div.MsoIntenseQuote
	{mso-style-priority:30;
	mso-style-link:"Intense Quote Char";
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:.5in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
span.MsoSubtleEmphasis
	{mso-style-priority:19;
	color:#5A5A5A;
	font-style:italic;}
span.MsoIntenseEmphasis
	{mso-style-priority:21;
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.MsoSubtleReference
	{mso-style-priority:31;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.MsoIntenseReference
	{mso-style-priority:32;
	font-weight:bold;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.MsoBookTitle
	{mso-style-priority:33;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
p.MsoTocHeading, li.MsoTocHeading, div.MsoTocHeading
	{mso-style-priority:39;
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading1Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 1 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1";
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading2Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 2 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2";
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
span.Heading3Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 3 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 3";
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading4Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 4 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 4";
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading5Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 5 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 5";
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
span.Heading6Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 6 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 6";
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading7Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 7 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 7";
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.Heading8Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 8 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 8";
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	font-style:italic;}
span.Heading9Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 9 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 9";
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";}
span.TitleChar
	{mso-style-name:"Title Char";
	mso-style-priority:10;
	mso-style-link:Title;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";
	font-weight:bold;}
span.SubtitleChar
	{mso-style-name:"Subtitle Char";
	mso-style-priority:11;
	mso-style-link:Subtitle;
	font-family:"Cambria","serif";}
span.QuoteChar
	{mso-style-name:"Quote Char";
	mso-style-priority:29;
	mso-style-link:Quote;
	font-style:italic;}
span.IntenseQuoteChar
	{mso-style-name:"Intense Quote Char";
	mso-style-priority:30;
	mso-style-link:"Intense Quote";
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
span.NoSpacingChar
	{mso-style-name:"No Spacing Char";
	mso-style-priority:1;
	mso-style-link:"No Spacing";}
p.Style1, li.Style1, div.Style1
	{mso-style-name:Style1;
	mso-style-link:"Style1 Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	line-height:300%;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.Style1Char
	{mso-style-name:"Style1 Char";
	mso-style-link:Style1;
	font-family:"Alba Super";}
span.EmailStyle48
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;
	position:relative;
	top:0pt;
	mso-text-raise:0pt;
	letter-spacing:0pt;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
.MsoPapDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	margin-bottom:10.0pt;
	line-height:115%;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
 /* List Definitions */
 @list l0
	{mso-list-id:141120265;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:967097968 -1720945506 67698691 67698693 67698689 =
67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:-;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

intermittent
problem which seems to only affect a few random laptop users.&nbsp; What
happens is that they can browse out to the afs root and sometimes down =
to a
certain level but eventually they will hit a spot where they try to open =
folder and after a long pause, the afs client returns an error stating =
that the
path was not found.<o:p></o:p></p>

dumps to
find some indication of what might be causing the problem.&nbsp; So far, =
all
that has led me to is performing a &#8216;fs checkservers =
&#8211;fast&#8217;
which reports that one or more of our afs file servers is =
unavailable.&nbsp; When
this happens, I can ping the server from the user&#8217;s laptop and =
ping their
laptop from the server.&nbsp; It also doesn&#8217;t affect anyone else =
and I
could find nothing in the server logs indicating a problem so it =
doesn&#8217;t
necessarily seem like a server problem.&nbsp; It&#8217;s certainly not a =
case
of the server being down.<o:p></o:p></p>

changed the IP
of the user&#8217;s laptop to something&nbsp; else and tried again, =
everything
would work and &#8216;fs checkservers&#8217; would report that all =
servers were
ok.&nbsp; Setting the laptop back to DHCP so it retrieved its original =
IP
address caused the problem to return.&nbsp; Also, if I manually set =
another
laptop to use that IP, it would begin experiencing the same =
problem.<o:p></o:p></p>

with
whatever is at that IP address.&nbsp; Then usually after a day or two, =
the
problem just disappears on its own.<o:p></o:p></p>

this?&nbsp; I have some of the log files and a packet capture from the =
client
when this problem was happening if either of those would help diagnose =
this
issue.<o:p></o:p></p>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C84181.6CBC5990--