[OpenAFS] kmod-openafs*.rpm size in Fedora repos

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:35:57 +0000

On 21 Dec 2007, at 10:50, Bruno Taglienti wrote:

> Is there any particular reason why some kmod-openafs rpm are as small
> as ~200KB (eg  kmod-openafs-1.4.5-1.2.6.23.1_21.fc7.i686.rpm) and some
> other ones are much bigger (~4MB) such as kmod-
> openafs-1.4.5-2.2.6.21_1.3194.fc7.i686.rpm
> By the way, all the kmod-openafs rpm for fedora 8 are ~4MB in size

I suspect that the smaller of those kernel modules have been
stripped, and the larger ones haven't.

Over the course of 1.4.5 builds we've moved from manually building
the RPM sets on per-architecture VMs, to building all of our
platforms on a single machine using Fedora's "mock" build system,
from a common SRPM. The stripping mechanism that was being used for
earlier Fedora releases (installing the kernel module as an
executable object) was removed because executable kernel modules
didn't work correctly with Fedora 8. It looks like the correct
solution is to make the modules executable until RPM has stripped
them, then chmod them back afterwards.

Cheers,

Simon.