[OpenAFS] Precompiled 1.4.6 binaries for AIX 5.3: Problems due to different build mode

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:29:27 -0500

------=_Part_766_4435655.1198250967975

Unintentional. I'll get new binaries online. Sorry.

On Dec 21, 2007 10:12 AM, Markus Alt <altmark@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> yesterday I've installed 1.4.6 from the precompiled rs_aix53.tar.gz
> tarball on an AIX 5.3 machine (client only first for testing). However
> during the next reboot, the start of AFS via /etc/rc.afs from within
> /etc/inittab failed.
>
> afsd complained about not being able to read files from the
> configuration directory /usr/local/etc/openafs. That's true, because the
> machine has its AFS stuff in the Transarc style paths (i.e. config files
> in /usr/vice/etc) and the /usr/local/etc/openafs directory does not
> exist at all.
>
> I could get it going by adding "-confdir /usr/vice/etc" to the options
> for afsd in /etc/rc.afs, but still e.g. klog fails with
>
> "klog: error reading cell database Can't get local cell name!".
>
> I wonder whether it is intentional that the precompiled binaries
> obviously use different directories than the previous releases. Looking
> at the "strings" output for some of the 1.4.6 binaries for AIX, it seems
> that the new release has been built in default mode instead of Transarc
> mode. If this switch has been made by intention, then it should be noted
> somewhere IMHO. If this has happened by mistake, could then someone
> please provide an updated tarball?
>
> On a side note: It seems that the new stuff has been built with umask
> 077, thus permissions need to be adjusted after installation for
> world-readable/executable files (klog, tokens, etc.). It would be
> helpful if it could be built with umask 022 again (as before). Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Markus
>
> --
> Markus Alt
> IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
> altmark@de.ibm.com

> IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
> Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrung: Herbert Kircher
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: B=F6blingen
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

------=_Part_766_4435655.1198250967975

ss=3D"gmail_quote">On Dec 21, 2007 10:12 AM, Markus Alt &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:altmark@de.ibm.com">altmark@de.ibm.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote cla=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); marg=
in: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi folks,<br><br>yesterday I&#39;ve installed 1.4.6 from the precompiled rs=
_aix53.tar.gz<br>tarball on an AIX 5.3 machine (client only first for testi=
ng). However<br>during the next reboot, the start of AFS via /etc/rc.afs fr=
om within
d files from the<br>configuration directory /usr/local/etc/openafs. That&#3=
9;s true, because the<br>machine has its AFS stuff in the Transarc style pa=
ths (
i.e. config files<br>in /usr/vice/etc) and the /usr/local/etc/openafs direc=
-confdir /usr/vice/etc&quot; to the options<br>for afsd in /etc/rc.afs, but=
 still=20
e.g. klog fails with<br><br>&quot;klog: error reading cell database Can&#39=
;t get local cell name!&quot;.<br><br>I wonder whether it is intentional th=
at the precompiled binaries<br>obviously use different directories than the=
 previous releases. Looking
X, it seems<br>that the new release has been built in default mode instead =
of Transarc<br>mode. If this switch has been made by intention, then it sho=
uld be noted
please provide an updated tarball?<br><br>On a side note: It seems that the=
 new stuff has been built with umask<br>077, thus permissions need to be ad=
justed after installation for
lpful if it could be built with umask 022 again (as before). Thanks.<br><br=
ung GmbH<br>Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter<br>Gesch=E4ftsf=
=FChrung: Herbert Kircher

------=_Part_766_4435655.1198250967975--