[OpenAFS] Possible complete brain failure

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:46:46 -0500

On Thursday, February 08, 2007 08:21:12 PM -0500 Jeff Blaine
<jblaine@mitre.org> wrote:

> Jeff Blaine wrote:
>> jblaine:cairo> fs lq .
>> Volume Name                   Quota      Used %Used   Partition
>> u.jblaine                   5000000    185544    4%          9%
>> jblaine:cairo>
>>
>> So, fixed.
>>
>> Looks like I have some reading up on orphans and attach/remove to do.
>>
>> Thanks all
>
> The AFS docs:
>
>      "Orphaned objects occupy space on the server partition, but
>       do not count against the volume's quota."

That's someone's guess.  The reality is that the fileserver does not
actually add up the space used by files in a volume, ever.  It keeps a
counter in the volume header, which is adjusted as files are created and
removed.  If something happens which causes damage that then has to be
repaired, fsck removes a file, a file somehow becomes orphaned, etc, then
the quota can become different from actual usage.