[OpenAFS] openafs performance in an internet-scale traffic environment

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:12:16 -0800

Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> writes:

> The umich web servers serve almost all data out of AFS. They're our
> torture test of our AFS deployment. :-/  It works, as long as AFS works.

> BTW, the users consider this a great feature. They update the files, and
> the changes are instantly usable. Read-only volume replication  defeats
> that.

Yup, we do the same thing here, with the addition that specific groups
that can deal with it get replicated volumes and a tool to release them.
The homepage group, for instance, *loves* being able to stage and preview
changes (via a separate web server with access control that points to the
read/write volumes) and then release that content when they're ready.