[OpenAFS] Question: discontinuing support for Solaris < 2.6

Sean O'Malley omalleys@msu.edu
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:33:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> I think at this point 2 people have asked about pre 2.6 recently, one 2.4
> and one 2.5.1, and they can use old versions. Is anyone else?

I am kind of wondering if we should knox 2.6 and 2.7 too..

http://www.sun.com/service/eosl/solaris/solaris_vintage_eol_5.2005.xml

Solaris 2.6 is end of life as of 07/23/06
Solaris 2.7 is end of life as of 08/15/08
(2.7 entered in the last phase before retirement as of 08/15/05 )

I am pretty sure it doesnt kill a lot of messy ifdefs, except maybe some
of the threaded code where you can use pthread instead of sun thread
support. IIRC pthread wasn't fully implemented until solaris 8..
but maybe they backported it to the older versions. I don't really know.

I am just thinking pretty much everyone was migrating off 7 and 8 right
now, but I could be wrong.

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University