[OpenAFS] kaserver//k5 parallel migration

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:43:04 -0500

I got this to work! That is I turned the kaserver back on and
made sure the kvno were different in /usr/afs/etc/KeyFile. On
the same machine I can do klog to the kaserver and things seem to work fine.
Or I can kinit/aklog! Pretty nice! I also tested on another linux machine.

I do not quite understand why it works though. The fileserver is
using the afs service keys from AD since the krb.conf file is
pointing to the AD realm, or the -realm option to the fileserver :-).

If you klog to the kasserver you get a TGT from the kaserver. I think
the kaserver then issues you a TGS afs service ticket the one generated
from "bos setkey" . But the fileserver is pointing to the AD afs service
ticket. I tried reading how service ticket works and have to admit I do not
fully understand them.

I even made my user passwords different in the kaserver and
the AD server and it still works fine! I just want to be sure this
will work and why. This will be a fantastic migration path for us and I
am sure others. I think this will work whether or not you are using
a MIT/Heimdal or Windows KDC server.

As I said, I will put together the steps for all of this. Just need
some more time. BTW, Microsoft sent me the new ktpass. I still want
to put it through more testing and understand the options better.
I hope to work on this this afternoon.

One ktpass questions. You originally told me to use the "-DesOnly"
option, there is a + or - option to the command, the - turns
this option off. I believe we want it on "+DesOnly". Does
this option force a single DES key? Again just trying to
understand more detail. I used "+DesOnly" with ktpass to create
my working keytab.

I just installed the the windows openafs 1.5.1302 client. Looks
good! I will be testing on how to migrate it soon.

Thanks for all your help.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175