[OpenAFS] kaserver//k5 parallel migration

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:59:39 -0500

Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I got this to work! That is I turned the kaserver back on and
>> made sure the kvno were different in /usr/afs/etc/KeyFile. On
>> the same machine I can do klog to the kaserver and things seem to work
>> fine. Or I can kinit/aklog! Pretty nice! I also tested on another
>> linux machine.
>>
>> I do not quite understand why it works though. The fileserver is
>> using the afs service keys from AD since the krb.conf file is
>> pointing to the AD realm, or the -realm option to the fileserver :-).
>
> Not really. The file server will accept a token, use the kvno
> from the token to look in the KeyFile for a matching entry.
> The KeyFile only has kvnos and keys. No service principal or realms
> names.
>

>> If you klog to the kasserver you get a TGT from the kaserver. I think
>> the kaserver then issues you a TGS afs service ticket the one generated
>> from "bos setkey".
>
> Sort of, the bos setkey end up in the KeyFile. The kaserver has a matching
> (kvno and key ) entry in its database.
>
>  > But the fileserver is pointing to the AD afs service
>> ticket. I tried reading how service ticket works and have to admit I
>> do not fully understand them.
>
> The asetkey can take the key from the AD created keytab, and copy
> the kvno and key to the KeyFile. No principal is copied.
>

>> I even made my user passwords different in the kaserver and
>> the AD server and it still works fine! I just want to be sure this
>> will work and why.
>
> The catch here is you must make sure that your old kaserver based
> users and AD based users are in the same name space. i.e.
> joe on the kaserver is the same user as joe in the AD. Otherwise
> the joe in AD now has AFS access to the old joe's files.
> This is especially true if the cell name matches your AD Domain name
> because the file server can not tell them apart.

No problem for us. We have always kept our L/Unix account and
Windows account user names the same.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175