[OpenAFS] How to use the diff patch? 2

Franco senseiwa@mac.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:00:27 +0100

On Jan 28, 2007, at 01:41pm, J=F6rg P.Pfannm=F6ller wrote:

> No, I want to compile afs by my self. As far as I understand I need =20=

> to patch with the diff before I do that, but I don=B4t know how. I =20
> mean those two files I have already quoted. How to patch =20
> openafs-1.4.2-src.tar.gz with
>  openafs-1.4.2-src.diff?

The thing is, those patches, and of course the /instructions/ you =20
found in that forum thread, apply to the openafs module client on =20
some linux kernel versions distributed by Ubuntu. That said, AFAIR =20
you need either the /Debian/ openafs module sources, or the Ubuntu =20
ones. Anyway you will end up building the *client* kernel module. The =20=

rest of the client suite and the openafs kernel module sources are =20
both distributed via your repository. Following those instructions =20
will hopefully create a suitable kernel module.

If you don't know how to use the patch command, I'd /warmly suggest/ =20
you to switch to the Ubuntu LTS distribution, I used it and worked =20
flawlessly: patching the 6.06 may lead to hassles for newcomers. =20
Anyway, instructions on ``patch'' for beginners are easily available =20
on the web.

If you want to compile both client and the server, since ``No, I want =20=

to compile afs by my self'' doesn't clarify which part you want, you =20
need the complete OpenAFS sources, and read the instructions very =20
carefully.

Good luck!

--=20
Franco Milicchio <milicchio@mac.com>

It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless =20
information.
Oscar Wilde