[OpenAFS] Re: fs setacl and permissions

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:06:19 -0500

>> I see a need for both solutions.  Would it be possible to change the
>> behaviour on a per-fileserver basis?  That you could allow one scenario
>> on volumes on fileserver a and allow the other on fileserver b.
>>
>> Perhaps a flag to the fileserver on start-up to select which method the
>> cell admin would like?
>
> the problem is the right way is per-volume, but per-fileserver is
> probably the best we can do today. anyone want to code it? (i can code
> it, it's like 5 minutes work, but testing is a little more)

Is this really a good idea? Will vos move give a warning when moving a
volume from one flavor of server to another? What happens when a server
is rebooted with the flag switched? Would we need some kind of flag on
the volume itself to say what kind of behavior is expected? This may be
a 5 minute change, but recovery may take years. Maybe with a little more
thought we can come up with a way to get the specific desired behavior
without making multiple flavors of file servers (and avoid the resulting
confusion that will ensue).
    / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
   /           "A modest little person, with much to be           /
  /              modest about." - Winston Churchill              /