[OpenAFS] dual database configuration

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:41:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Gerald Macinenti wrote:

> of course these are test servers, but I must say I somehow lost confidence in
> the dual database solution to migrate my production server..., not

well, you did some weird things first, so it's hard to say whether you
broke something trying the various unsupported things before you got here.
i've been running a dual server config since the 90s, with hardware that's
been running, well, since the 90s (i guess the pc is newer but the
filesystem has moved with the hostname over time)

> I will retry the configuration with a file-only server, vos addsite all my
> volumes to the new fileserver then bring the administrative databases down on
> the old and then up on the new, but It is not clear for me if I must vos

um. if you're not careful you'll screw yourself again. if you do that make
sure you
1) migrate the database files
2) properly edit all CellServDBs (client and server)

> addsite the root.afs and root.cell, or if i must create them from scratch on
> the new server then only vos addsite all other volumes? In my last test I vos
> addsited root.* which may be the cause of the problem...

if you are turning off the old server, addsite won't help. if you intend
to have both up, well, you can only have one master copy, so you can
create on exactly one host, and then addsite on both (and release)