[OpenAFS] Full disk woes

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:35:18 +0200

Steve Devine wrote:
> I committed the cardinal sin of letting a server partition fill up.
> I have tried vos remove and vos zap .. I can't get rid of any
> vols.Volume management fails on this machine.
> Its the old style (non namei) fileserver. It doesn't seem like I can
> just "rm the V#####.vol" can I?
> Any help?

To remove the small V#####.vol files doesn't help, they are really only
76 bytes long.

What happens if you do a "vos remove" or a "vos zap"?
Go the volumes away and the free space seems as low as before?

This can happen, if you only removed readonly and backup volumes which
typically can free only the space used by their metadata while the space
used by their files and directories is shared between them and the RW
volume. But, of course, you don't want to remove your RW-volumes.
May be, if you have removed all RO- and BK- volumes you have enough free
space for the temporary volume being created when you try to move your
smallest RW-volume to another partition/server.

There is also a "-live" option for the vos move command which should doe
the move without creating a clone. I suppose it has been written for
such cases.

Good luck,
Hartmut
Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)