[OpenAFS] [vos] listvldb

Marcus Watts mdw@spam.ifs.umich.edu
Mon, 09 Jul 2007 01:03:14 -0400

Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 12:14:22PM -0400, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> > On 7/2/07, Alessio Rocchi <alexrocchi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Hi everybody.
> > >I'm writing to ask you for the meaning of
> > >"New release -- old release" and
> > >"old release -- old release"
> > >configurations, appearing while issuing the "vos listvldb" command.
> > >Reading the documentation didn't help me :(
> >

> > a "vos release" was done, and didn't complete to the sites listed "old
> > release"
>
> I don't think, Alessio meant that. Sometimes a volume instance' state
> is "New release -- old release" and not just "Old release".
> I would be interested in an explaination, too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

What version of openafs are you running?
What OS platform are you using?
What command exactly did you use?
Is there anything unusual in how you are running "vos listvldb"?
	how does your terminal output reach you?
If you pipe output from "vos vldb" through "more", or redirect output
	to a file, do you still see output weirdness?
Once it happens, does it persist, is it true of one
	particular volume, and does it happen when vos is run from
	different runtime environments?  if so - is your afs cell
	publically reachable and can you give us a cellservdb entry
	& which volume produces weird output?
did you compile openafs and if so did you save your build area?

When "vos release" runs, it updates the vldb entry several times.  First,
it sets on "NEW_REPSITE" on succesive RO instances in the vldb entry.
Then it clears out all the bits.

When "vos examine" runs, it looks to see "NEW_REPSITE" is set on at least
one volume instance.  If this was so, then it will print " -- New release"
that has it set, and " -- Old release" on the remaining.  Newer versions
of openafs have a 3rd case -- " -- Not released", which can happen if
the volume has RO sites added.  On the face of it, there's no way this
logic could could emit a string that looks anything like "New release --
old release", let alone "old release -- old release".  Code for this is
in the function SubEnumerateEntry in src/volser/vsprocs.c .

So -- a failure here might mean:
> your vsprocs.c logic really is both different and broken.
> broken termcap
> something in your terminal output path drops characters.
	broken xon/xoff handshake?
	missing cts/rts handshake?
	broken terminal emulation program?
> memory corruption problem due to weird software bug
> broken compiler
> libc or os problem
> broken machine, such as bad memory or cpu

			-Marcus Watts