[OpenAFS] Poor performance on new ZFS-based file server

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:11:59 -0700

A couple things to check, Brian...

1) How large is your RAID-Z2 pool (# of spindles)?  If it's rather
large (say, above 8), you might be running into problems from that.

2) Check to see if your fileserver process is fully resident in
memory (not swapped out.)  ZFS's ARC can get VERY greedy and end up
pushing out real stuff to swap.  If you've got a callback table size
on your fileserver, there will be quite a few chunks of memory that
it uses which may look like good candidates for swapping-out because
they don't get accessed much -- but when they do, it'll drag your
fileserver to a crawl for the time when its got to swap them in.  If
this is the case, figure out how much ram you can dedicate to the
ARC, and pin its maximum size.  (see: http://www.solarisinternals.com/
wiki/index.php/
ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Memory_and_Dynamic_Reconfiguration_Recommendati
ons )

-rob