[OpenAFS] Error restoring volumes from backup

Gérald Macinenti gerald.macinenti@letitwave.fr
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:25:02 +0200

Kim Kimball a écrit :
> The backup dump command has "-append" as an option.
>
> Do you know if this was used when the dumps were created?
yes it was used, and as I understand, this is what caused the problem as
appending to a dump is only supported for tape devices, not files.

So the problem arises each time you want an incremental dump for the
same volset or want to backup a new volset on a device which already
holds a dump: you *must* use a separate file each time, isn't it?

If so I don't find it very confortable to use as you must define
differents TC on different ports, one per file, or you have to change
the file on behalf of the TC (have a link that points to a different
file each time you wants to add something on the same disk)?

ps: restoring such appended dumps doesn't work with standard commands
but the size of the backup file seems to grow at each backup, so I guess
the data must be restorable in a (tricky) way or another.

--
Gérald Macinenti - Administrator

8-16, rue Paul-Vaillant-Couturier,
92240 Malakoff; FRANCE
Tel +33 1 4092 5454 - Fax +33 1 4092 5441 -
http://www.letitwave.fr