[OpenAFS] Which file system is the best for AFS data partitions?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:58:04 -0700

Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> writes:

> I'll take the chance to ask everyone about their filesystem preferences
> for (namei-) AFS data partitions. I'm especially interested in things
> like "I used XYfs but moved to YZfs because of XX". Please write about
> non-linux servers filesystem preferences, too.

We use ext3 because it's mainline, supported, and I simply don't trust the
other file systems to have had sufficient real-world testing and
sufficient attention paid to recovery tools.

I care more about file system consistency and reasonable recovery from
hardware and software failure than I do about the last iota of speed.