[OpenAFS] Performance behaviors when exporting with samba server

fabrizio Manfredi fabrizio.manfredi@gmail.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:07:45 +0200

------=_Part_69640_26479370.1184598465756

Hi,
I make some performance test on samba used as a openAFS gateway to
windows world.
The production  environment  is composed by:
- 3 AFS Server (Linux)
- 2 Samba GW   (Linux)

The samba servers export the afs cell to the windows clients.

The test was divide in 3 main part :
1) Linux client Performance on AFS filesystem
2) Windows Performance on remote share  exported from linux samba
server, where the share is a local disk
3) Windows Performance on remote share  exported from linux samba
server, where the share is a afs fileystem

In this picture
http://www.beolink.org/downloads/afs-performance/read-speed.jpg we
have reach the same speed ( we are in warm cache condition).

The strange things is on the write operation :
http://www.beolink.org/downloads/afs-performance/write-speed.jpg,
the difference btw case 2 and 3 is 50% of the speed.

At the moment we didn't find a good reason for this performance
reduction, we have made many different test with different chunksize,
but nothing is changed. ..

I'd like to know if someone has similar experience

bye manfred