[OpenAFS] Feature request, sort of

Carsten Schulz-Key openafs@oo-design.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:27:55 +0200

--==_Exmh_1184768875_6374P

Steve Simmons wrote:
>> How about restoring the volume without the '-readonly' flag and =20
>> adding a
>> replica on the same partition, followed by a
>> 'fs mkm RESTORE.070702 user.elevina.070702.readonly' ?
>
> That'd work, but it sucks up twice as much disk space,=20

The RW and RO volumes share the same inodes (for the data part) as long a=
they're on the same partition and the RW volume has not been altered sinc=
releasing the volume. The space needed for the second volume header shoul=
d be
neglegtable. That's as far as I know -- please correct me if I'm wrong.

> leaves two =20
> volumes rather than one that we have to remove later, and the savvy =20
> user could still mount the r/w original.

yeah, but you were going to delete it anyways, weren't you? So the worst =
case
would be that the users mount the RW volume, delete the data and fill it =
up
with other data -- which they can not rely on since it will be deleted w/=
further notice a couple of days later. In this case you'll indeed end up =
with
twice the disk space used for a short period of time. I don't think that =
this
should be much of an issue in the days of Terabyte disks, shouldn't it? ;=
-)

Regards,
Carsten

--==_Exmh_1184768875_6374P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2i

iQEVAwUBRp4ja+VLLWKtJb4RAQHs/AgAhsEDIbczDNzzLmp0nR9d8KbeE9BNg2CY
BsleY9GAEcrxryGJoQcbWUveTvY6bAiR3ydVoR/WeuZLdX85MeClBpG90TQTQpv6
jZG+vQOn+EQXI+Sbq4oTWnVlVjxKm1K7+xmvmvuJ1FYAPY59tSJ+zDu7NBcJLOjF
NakU/UVXx5IWas7OrSCzbwoviYKdqHMhBAg3znJRUXpynpOAaKrG2rWHfQoB2bC9
Lg0DjLemRwiNh5H5kV/+iFGFj7H5ufMLEGJdanCI1/LSnUteYlVopJXB6KiJXEuN
6/PBEPt4oc2Ik9H2pop99+mDGJSeCudWwq+MlIQX8paxZCGukiwCzQ==
=gqfP
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1184768875_6374P--