[OpenAFS] Feature request, sort of

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:16:53 -0400

On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Carsten Schulz-Key wrote:

> The RW and RO volumes share the same inodes (for the data part) as
> long as
> they're on the same partition and the RW volume has not been
> altered since
> releasing the volume. The space needed for the second volume header
> should be
> neglegtable. That's as far as I know -- please correct me if I'm
> wrong.

You're correct; I'd not thought of putting them in the /vice partition.

>> leaves two
>> volumes rather than one that we have to remove later, and the savvy
>> user could still mount the r/w original.
>
> yeah, but you were going to delete it anyways, weren't you? So the
> worst case
> would be that the users mount the RW volume, delete the data and
> fill it up
> with other data -- which they can not rely on since it will be
> deleted w/o
> further notice a couple of days later.

That's exactly the problem. Somebody sees they suddenly have twice as
much space and starts using it - then gets quite upset when their new
files all disappear. We'd like to have a mechanism that doesn't
permit the user to go down that road. A read-only volume solves that,
but we should be able to distinguish between a volume that is a
standalone read-only and an abandoned replica. That, essentially, is
my feature request.

Best,

Steve