[OpenAFS] Feature request, sort of

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:18:37 -0400

On Jul 19, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Kim Kimball wrote:

> Why not restore the volume (restores to RW), replicate it (same
> server and partition) and then remove the RW?
>
> Mount the resulting readonly explicitly -- i.e. be sure to include
> the .readonly suffix in the fs mkm
>
> Works for me.

Works perfectly. Also gives the same error reports when you do a 'vos
examine' on it. Which is  how this feature request got started.

Since then there's been further discussion here that leads me to
think a production read-only volume is a good idea. Think about
forensics, locking out users in cases of potential but unproven
abuse, avoiding per-file callbacks, etc, etc...

Steve