[OpenAFS] OpenAFS not able to support large files?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:37:23 -0400

------=_Part_161618_24166214.1185201443224

On 7/23/07, Jesse W. Asher <jasher1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I ran across the below paragraph in an IBM document at
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246657.pdf (page 7).  When
> talking about NFSv4, they said:
>
> *
> NFS has evolved into a powerful enterprise file system that enables it to
> take
> advantage of today's more powerful servers and storage. Earlier enterprise
> file
> systems such as AFS and DFS have architectural limitations that limit
> their ability
> to process large files and take advantage of the increased memory and
> multiprocessor support available in modern servers.*
>

> I know that AFS is used extensively at large companies like Intel and
> IBM.  I was wondering how true the above really was??

Large file support may well not have existed when that was written.

As to processors, AFS is still largely not MP-fast.

------=_Part_161618_24166214.1185201443224

I ran across the below paragraph in an IBM document at
talking about NFSv4, they said:<br>
<b><br>
NFS has evolved into a powerful enterprise file system that enables it
to take<br>
advantage of today's more powerful servers and storage. Earlier
enterprise file<br>
systems such as AFS and DFS have architectural limitations that limit
their ability<br>
to process large files and take advantage of the increased memory and<br>
multiprocessor support available in modern servers.</b><br>