[OpenAFS] Current comparison of NFSv4 with AFS.

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:04:26 -0400

On Jul 23, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Jesse W. Asher wrote:

> Anyone have any real world experience they are willing to share on
> how AFS compares with current implementations of NFSv4?
>
> I'm doing some research on deploying AFS vs. NFSv4 and trying to
> understand which might be better at this point in time.
> Specifically, I'm in interested in the following areas:
>
> 1)  WAN performance
> 2)  Global namespace (transparency of file/directory location)
> 3)  Caching
> 4)  Security
>    a)  Encryption
>    b)  ACLs
>
> I found some discussions in the archives, but the ones I found were
> old (2003) and I wanted a current perspective.

IMHO the biggest single issue with near-term deployment is the
clients. NFSv4 looks like a big improvement, but I can't find things
more current than a year back about client status. At that time, the
clients didn't look production-ready to me.

That said, I am not close to the NFSv4 effort and could well be out
of the loop.

Steve