[OpenAFS] Re: don't get \\afs UNC server, get \\hostname-afs instead

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:42:18 -0400

Of course, right after i sent this it occurred to me that i hadn't
googled for the word "hostname-afs".  Which shows me lots of relevant
info but gives me the impression suggests that if the loopback adapter
is installed i should get \\afs.

loopback adapter is installed, and when i reinstalled openafs the
installer didn't seem to want to reinstall the adapter).

It looks like I can fix this with a registry tweak of the
NetbiosName value?  Or is more required?

Any thoughts on how it might have been set this way in the first place?
I'm not sure how long "the image" has been handed down/upgraded, vs.
when the last time a fresh install was done, and the guy who maintains
it isn't in this week.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 05:34:30PM -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> This is on a freshly imaged machine that had the client installed in the
> image; "sysprep" was apparently run on the original before running ghost.
>
> system is XP, client is 1.5.20.  IBM thinkpad T30.
>
> instead of \\afs i get \\uglyhostname-afs
>
> loopback adapter's IP address is in \windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts with
> "AFS" as name.
>
> changing the system hostname changes the unc server name to
> \\newhostname-afs
>
> Uninstalling & reinstalling 1.5.20 fixed the problem.  I intend to upgrade
> to 1.5.21, but wanted to try the same version.  I'm willing to believe
> I missed something but I don't see anything that looks relevant in the
> 1.5.20 changelog.
>
> didn't see this in the docs or mailing list anywhere; did see some
> mention of the hosts file entry on the list.
>
> The Release Notes mention the need to not clone your AFSCache file (which
> i'm not sure is happening correctly as part of the clone process; is this
> related?).  I got another freshly cloned machine and stopped afs service,
> deleted the afscache file, and started afs service; this didn't change
> this behavior.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> aside: are there any other gotchas w/r/t system imaging?
>
> tnx
> danno
> --
> Dan Pritts, System Administrator
> Internet2
> office: +1-734-352-4953 | mobile: +1-734-834-7224
>
> Internet2 Workshops:
> More fun than summer school
> http://www.internet2.edu/workshops

danno