[OpenAFS] Removing a backup volume

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:16:10 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently removing a backup clone which belongs to a volume containing ~
55 GB in ~ 102000 files. 'vos status' shows a "DeleteVolume" transaction
which is running since 63 min now.

Is it supposed to take that long? I've seen this on all of our file servers
- especially when performing clone operations (e.g. vos backup, vos
release). However: cpus are ~99.5% idle (cpu load is always ~1.0 ). The
fileserver removes the clone exclusively - noone else accesses content from
the volume's volumegroup and it's the only volume on the server.

Is there a way to speed things up?

Here are some data about the machine:
   * 2x Xeon 2.66GHz
   * OS: Debian Etch 4.0
   * Vanilla Linux kernel (2.6.21.0), SMP, no patches
   * Openafs 1.4.4 (Sam Hartman's package backported from Debian Sid)
   * Data partition resides on a SATA-RAID connected via a PCI-X-3Ware-Controller

Thank you for any hint,

Frank