[OpenAFS] Having trouble releasing volumes to newsite

Marcus Watts mdw@spam.ifs.umich.edu
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:57:28 -0400

You wrote:
> Yes I can run rxdebug -version to and from each of them.  I did notice
> they are running different versions though.  brain.ny.secure is running
> 1.4.2 and afs.ny.secure is running 1.4.4.
> =20

When you say "to and from each" - do you mean from and to your client
workstation, or from & to the RW site (I gather that's "brain.ny.secure"?)

Can do you do a vos restore to some small dummy volume on "afs.ny.secure a"?
This might produce better error diagnostics than vos release.
Ideally something like:

	# vos dump root.cell -file /tmp/root.cell -localauth
	Dumped volume root.cell in file /tmp/root.cell
	# vos restore localhost a -name qqsv.1 -localauth -verbose -file /tmp/root.cell
	Restoring volume qqsv.1 Id 536872068 on server backyarddogs.ifs.umich.edu partition /vicepa .. done
	------- Creating a new VLDB entry -------

	qqsv.1
	    RWrite: 536872068
	    number of sites -> 1
	       server backyarddogs.ifs.umich.edu partition /vicepa RW Site
	Restored volume qqsv.1 on localhost /vicepa
	#
If this works when logged into afs.ny.secure, you might then try it from
your usual workstation & from the RW site (replacing localhost with afs.ny.secure)
and you might try it with data from the volume you actually want to replicate
instead of something small.  This should help you classify your problem as:
	connectivity problems
		(the local dumps will work...)
	target volume data problems
		(the real data will fail)
	target volume problems
		(all these tests will work, so presumably something
		specific about the original readonly volume will be broken.)

				-Marcus Watts