[OpenAFS] Removing a backup volume

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:09:53 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 04:46:29PM -0400, Steven Jenkins wrote:
> On 6/25/07, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >On 6/25/07, Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:...
> >

> >The root problem here is the underlying filesystem presumably offers poor
> >performance for deleting files, and the way to fix it is to use a filesystem
> >that doesn't. Deleting a volume is really deleting a tree of files and
> >directories, and it won't run any faster for OpenAFS than it does for
> >anything else.

I'm just trying a different filesystem on one of my servers (Reiserfs). Maybe
XFS is a poor choice for AFS.

> Frank, let me ask some additional questions:
>
> * What OS are you on?  (including distribution, release, etc)
> * What is the underlying filesystem?  what features do you have enabled?  (

Filesystem is XFS (no options used for mkfs.xfs). OS information can be found in
my first mail (digest: OS=Debian Etch 4.0,
Kernel=2.6.21.0 (vanilla;self-compiled), Openafs=1.4.4).

> With that information, we might be able to help explain things more clearly
> and completely.

Thank you,

Frank