[OpenAFS] Re: cyrus with storage in afs?

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:05:00 -0400

I personally wouldn't want my mail storage on AFS.  I say that
because, right now, it is, and I can't wait to get it off of it.
It's caused me nothing but problems, because the AFS fileserver
doesn't just seem to be "made" to handle the transactional intensity
of mail-land.  We got around a lot of our performance issues by
moving from a berkeley-based mailspool to a maildir-like one a couple
years ago, but now are always coming up against performance (leading
into stability) issues caused by AFS being part of the stack.  Less
things being part of the stack with your mail system will make things
better; run it on some quality fibre or iscsi attached storage and
you won't end up screaming in pain later on.

-rob